Saturday, May 11, 2013

The Best Sugar Cookie

 This is my Mom's recipe.  Growing up she would always make  all 7 of us kids our very own plate of cookies for Halloween and Valentines day.  It was a big deal for me.  I have always loved these cookies and it seems to me that no other sugar cookie compares....maybe I am a sugar cookie snob!!
 
Sugar Cookie
 
2/3 cup shortening
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
4 teaspoons milk
2 cups sifted all-purpose four
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
 
Thoroughly cream shortening, sugar, orange peel and vanilla.  Add egg: beat till light and fluffy.  Stir in milk.  Sift together dry ingredients; blend in creamed mixture.  Divide dough in half.  Chill 1 hour.
 
On lightly floured surface and roll.  Cut in desired shapes with cutters.  Bake on greased cookie sheet at 375 degrees about 6-8 minutes.  Cool slightly; remove from pan.  Cool on rack and decorate.  Makes about 2 dozen cookies.
 
 I needed a frosting that would dry hard but taste nummy.   Anytime I think of any royal icing I think of the hard not so tasty frosting my mom would use when we made our gingerbread house every year.  I didn't want that.  This recipe did the trick.
 
Frosting
 
4 Tbsp. meringue powder
1/2 cup water
 
Mix on high a long time until it is fluffy and it peaks.
 
Add
 
7 cups powdered sugar (add more sugar if to runny)
1 tsp. Vanilla
2 tbsp. Crisco
2 tbsp. Corn Syrup 
 
Slowly add to above mixture.

You can store any extra frosting in an airtight container for several weeks.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment