Thursday, February 14, 2013

Be Mine, Valentine ! DIY Triangle Banner

Simple and easy and hardly any sewing. What you need:
1. Material:felt and flannel. You probably could use any material but I like the thickness of these two materials. I used scrap material. Pink for the triangles, purple for the circle and purple pattern for the letters.
2. Scissors, rotary cutter, ruler and mat
3. Tacky glue
4. Ribbon or bias tape (or make your own)
5. Sewing machine
I cut out the triangles using my green mat as a template (it had some triangle shapes on it). I used the bottom of a bottle lid for the circles.
I had a alphabet template to trace already (if you don't you can always print them out on a computer, cut them out and then trace them).
I traced the letters on the back of the material so the pattern would show. I turned the alphabet template over to do this. I forgot on the "B" so there is an X over it. I also didn't like the way the template was, it would have been to difficult to cut out so I adjusted the letters after I traced them.
Cut the letters out and assemble everything. Use your tacky glue to glue the letters on the circles and then glue the circles on to the triangles.
This picture didn't turn out, and I had to change it to black and white to even look a bit decent. This is a picture with just gluing everything together. I have done it like this on other banners, but I decided to sew around the circles this time.
I used a zig zag stitch and sewed around each circle. I tried just a straight stitch and didn't like it.
I arranged them on the floor with the bias tape and pinned the triangles to the bias tape. You could use ribbon, just use a ribbon that is 1/2 inch wide so you can fold over and sew.
Once you have everything pinned start sewing. I used a straight stitch and went slow to make sure that the triangles stayed in place.
Happy Valentines Day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment